Several news outlets are reporting that anti-gun New York Sen. Charles Schumer recently confided to several Democrat colleagues their party is likely to lose control of the House of Representatives, based on a report from Punchbowl News.
According to Business Insider, Schumer reportedly “Democrats a 60% chance of retaining control of the Senate.”
The reports come as Fox News says “independents in key battleground states appear to be far more aligned with Republicans than Democrats, according to several recent statewide polls.” The story notes, “. Inflation appears to be on the rise and is a top concern to most Independent and GOP voters nationwide, but polls indicated Democrats do not see it the same way.”
Indeed, they apparently don’t, since many Democrats, such as Washington State’s Kim Schrier, has been running hit ads against Republican challenger Matt Larkin on the abortion issue.
According to Fox News, “Registered voters in Georgia were asked what they believed were the most urgent issues currently facing the state. A Quinnipiac University poll conducted from Sept. 8-12 with a margin of error of plus or minus 2.7 percentage points found that inflation was of top concern to both independents (43%) and Republicans (73%). However, despite the economic recession, inflation was only the issue of most concern to 8% of Democrats, ranking under election laws and racial inequality.”
And one shouldn’t dismiss the gun rights issue, either. In the wake of June’s Supreme Court decision declaring New York State’s concealed carry “proper cause” requirement to be unconstitutional, followed by passage of another restrictive gun control law, gun voters are fired up. Joe Biden has reminded gun owners he wants to ban so-called “assault rifles” and impose other restrictions. This could bring gun votes to the polls in huge numbers.
What did the Punchbowl article actually say? Here’s a sample:
- “Schumer said that if the election were held today there was ‘a 60% chance we hold the Senate, and a 40% chance we hold the House.’”
- Schumer believes former President Donald Trump will run for election in 2024.
- Schumer said Democrats won’t be able to win the Senate race in Iowa. Democrat Mike Franken, a former Navy vice admiral, is running against longtime GOP Sen. Chuck Grassley.
As reported by the New York Post, the dinner was attended by Senators Mark Kelly of Arizona, John Hickenlooper of Colorado, Chris Coons and Tom Carper of Delaware, Dick Durbin of Illinois and Chris Van Hollen of Maryland. Schumer reportedly told them Democrat House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is “in trouble.”
Biden’s gun control agenda, as well as his domestic and foreign relations programs may hinge on Democrats retaining control on Capitol Hill. If Republicans take control of the Senate as well as the House, Biden would become a lame duck president for the remainder of his term in office.
The key is for conservatives and especially gun owners and Second Amendment activists to vote. There are critical races in several states that can be upended by a strong turnout of voters favoring Republicans.
Surprisingly, Axios is reporting that Pelosi recently said she expects Democrats to retain House control.