Liberty Park Press

Liberty Park Press

  • Headlines
  • Politics
  • 2nd Amendment
  • Tech
  • Life
  • Money
  • Sports

Supreme Court ‘Clears Way’ for Sandy Hook Lawsuit v. Remington

November 12, 2019 By Dave Workman

In a case being watched by all gun manufacturers, the Supreme Court has opened the door for a lawsuit against Remington and Bushmaster to proceed in Connecticut. The outcome could impact all makers of semi-auto modern sporting rifles, such as the Ruger in this photo. (Dave Workman)

In a case that could either uphold a federal law prohibiting legal actions against firearms manufacturers or potentially knock it cockeyed, the U.S. Supreme Court has “cleared the way” for families of several victims in the Sandy Hook school massacre to sue Remington Arms and Bushmaster.

CBS News and other news agencies were quick to report the high court’s decision to not hear the case, which allows the lawsuit to move forward in Connecticut state court.

But Alan Gottlieb, founder and executive vice president of the Second Amendment Foundation, told Liberty Park Press via e-mail, “While the high court chose not to hear the case at this time I am sure that if a final verdict goes against Remington it will be back before them.”

“This suit is just plain wrong and should never have been allowed to proceed,” he added.

At issue is whether Remington and Bushmaster marketed the rifle used by Sandy Hook mass killer Adam Lanza in a way that it would “court high-risk users at the expense of Americans’ safety,” a term used by attorney Joshua Koskoff, with Koskoff, Koskoff & Bieder.

Earlier this year, the Connecticut state Supreme Court, in a split decision, said the lawsuit could proceed, but Remington took the case to the federal level.

But the legal speed bump is supposed to be the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA), passed in 2005 by Congress during the Bush administration.

Gottlieb noted that the high court already has seven gun cases “sitting in front of them,” one that it has accepted and six others that it has yet to decide whether to accept for review. He believes eventually the Remington case will work its way back up to the court, so while this may cost Remington more time and money, this case is far from over.

According to NBC News, the Connecticut case “has been closely watched by gun rights supporters and gun control advocates across the country, with many pointing to it as having the potential to affect other cases accusing gunmakers of being responsible for mass shootings.”

When the Connecticut Supreme Court allowed the lawsuit to continue earlier this year, ABC News noted that the plaintiffs “argued that the manufacturer, distributor and seller of the weapon negligently entrusted to civilian consumers an assault rifle that is suitable for use only by military and law enforcement personnel and violated the Connecticut Unfair Trade Practices Act (CUTPA) through the sale or wrongful marketing of the rifle.”

But therein could be a problem for the plaintiffs. Lanza did not personally purchase the rifle he used in the school shooting. That firearm, and others, were purchased legally by his mother, Nancy, under Connecticut statute, which was strong at the time and has been made even stiffer. She was also one of his victims, killed in her home before Lanza took her guns to commit the mass shooting.

Remington had appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court, CBS noted, contending that it should be protected by the PLCAA. That law was adopted to protect the firearms industry from what had become a series of so-called “junk lawsuits” filed by various municipalities in an attempt to hold gunmakers responsible for crimes committed in their communities by people using guns. Courts consistently ruled against these lawsuits, which other industries—especially the automobile industry—were watching closely.

In theory, if a gun manufacturer can be held responsible for a crime committed by an end user over which industry has no control, then it could open the door for car crash victims or their families to sue automakers for deaths resulting from DUI or speeding drivers, for example.

Facebook Comments

Filed Under: 2nd Amendment, Headlines Tagged With: Bushmaster, Connecticut, Gun control, Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, Remington, SAF, Supreme Court

About Dave Workman

Dave Workman is an award-winning career journalist with an expertise in firearms and the outdoors. He is the author of several books dealing with firearms politics. He has a degree in editorial journalism from the University of Washington and is a lifelong Washington resident.

Please Subscribe

We respect your email privacy

Powered by AWeber Email Marketing

 

Featured Stories

Federal Judge: ATF’s ‘Frame and Receiver Rule’ Unconstitutional

AG Blanche Finalizes New Restoration-of-Rights Process

Political Polling: Less than 30% Trust the Results

Color Blindness- The Latest Scheme Of Subterfuge

Jabbing Back: 46% Wanted Contempt Charges Against Fauci

SAF Settles Carry Case v. LA County Sheriff; Seeks Injunction Against CA Glock Ban

OR Gubernatorial Candidate Proposes Constitutional Amendment to Protect Hunting

Silence As Usual: Anti-Gunners Ignore Armed Citizen Intervention in Idaho

VIRAL STORIES

Don’t Look Now, But The Clock Is Ticking

Domino Bot Wows Internet

The Soviet Ghost Town Of The Arctic Expanse

These Insects Redefine “The Groove”

Colossal Pizza Slice Marks The End Of An Era

The Hardheaded And Plummeting Ratings Of Sports Television

Escaping The Madness- Where On Earth Does One Go To Avoid Bubonic Politicization?

Driving A Jet Engine Or Racing A Car? Choose Wisely

LATEST NEWS

AG Blanche Finalizes New Restoration-of-Rights Process

Political Polling: Less than 30% Trust the Results

Color Blindness- The Latest Scheme Of Subterfuge

Jabbing Back: 46% Wanted Contempt Charges Against Fauci

SAF Settles Carry Case v. LA County Sheriff; Seeks Injunction Against CA Glock Ban

SAF Settles Carry Case v. LA County Sheriff; Seeks Injunction Against CA Glock Ban

OR Gubernatorial Candidate Proposes Constitutional Amendment to Protect Hunting

Silence As Usual: Anti-Gunners Ignore Armed Citizen Intervention in Idaho

Rasmussen: 62% ‘Continue to Support SAVE Act’

Armed Citizen Hailed as Hero for Engaging, Distracting Idaho Killer

Spanberger Fund Raiser: Did VA Governor Miss Headlines?

Seattle Mayor Announces Plan to Combat Violent Crime: Gun Control

Women’s Professional Basketball- A Condescending Tale

Anti-gun Law Professors Seek to Cloud a Clear Issue

OR Anti-Hunting Initiative Fails Count, Not on November Ballot!

Panic Mode? Report Says NJ Lawmakers Consider Next Moves on Gun Control

About Us

Liberty Park Press is an online information website dedicated to providing you with breaking, useful, or interesting information.

Read More

TRENDING NEWS

‘Gun Violence Prevention’= The New Gun Control Camouflage

Rasmussen: Political Intolerance Affecting Friends, Family Relationships

The 7-Eleven Of Career And Love

3rd Circuit Blockbuster: New Jersey Rifle, Magazine Bans Unconstitutional

The Future Of Television News- Willful Ignorance

Can U.S. Get Used to Notion of DOJ Defending Second Amendment?

Michigan Dem. Senator Slotkin says SAVE Act would Defeat Democrats

The Inverse Of Trickle Up Hate

Judge Roger Benitez to Keynote Gun Rights Policy Conference in Dallas

TX Candidate Talarico’s Big $$ Campaign Can’t Mask Anti-Gun Problem

E-Bikes, Hiking, And Dancing- The Dawn Of Known Quantities

The ATF is Getting Better, But …

After Trump’s Holiday Speeches Highlight 2A Commitment, Regs Changes Lamented

CCRKBA: Gun Owners Have Much to Celebrate

How Media Gets It Wrong About Recent Second Amendment Rulings

DOJ Hits Virginia with Lawsuit to Stop Semi-Auto Ban

PRIVACY AND TERMS

Welcome to Libertyparkpress.com. If you continue to browse and use this website you are agreeing to comply with and be bound by the following terms and conditions of use:
Continue Reading…

CONTACT US

Liberty Park Press
12500 NE 10th Place
Bellevue, WA 98005

Copyright © 2026 · Liberty Park Press Inc · all rights reserved · Log in